Water and Sewage
CCDPH’s Environmental Health Services (EHS) Unit assists residents and businesses throughout suburban Cook County by providing regulatory oversight, plan reviews and inspections for private sewage disposal systems (septics), water wells, closed loop (geothermal) wells, and non-community public water supplies. We also answer concerns about drinking water and offer recommendations to promote safe water supplies. Below are highlights of our water and private sewage disposal program activities. CCDPH:
- Reviews and approves all private sewage disposal systems throughout Cook County except in incorporated Barrington Hills, Inverness, Palos Park, and South Barrington.
- Reviews and approves all private, non-community water wells , closed loop wells, and related wells for construction, modification, or sealing.
- Investigates waterborne illnesses transmitted by non-community public water supplies that are not monitored by villages or municipalities.
- Provides education and resources about water quality, chemical and pathogen risks and how to disinfect water wells.
- Provides guidance and consultation for water supplies, wells and private sewage systems such as home sale evaluations, remodeling impact assessment and approvals, temporary water well capping approvals, testing, Legionnaire treatment, and complaint investigation.
- investigates and monitors Legionella outbreaks and offers guidance on treatment options in collaboration with Illinois Department of Public Health.
For more information, click on the corresponding tile below. Photo tiles