Post-Exposure Prophylaxis Protocol
If a person that has not been vaccinated is exposed to a rabid animal, the following is required for post exposure prophylaxis:
- Human Rabies Immune-Globulin (HRIG) on day 0, plus a series of Human Rabies Vaccines (HRV) on days 0, 3, 7, and 14 (immunocompromised patients should receive a 5th dose on day 28 and subsequent titer check).
- Persons with previous rabies vaccination [i.e., those who completed the series of the three vaccine pre exposure prophylaxis or the series of four/five vaccines and Human Rabies Immune Globulin post exposure prophylaxis (using Human Diploid Cell Vaccine, Rabies Vaccine Adsorbed, or Purified Chick Embryo Vaccines)], should receive two doses of rabies vaccine on days 0 and 3. The person does not need Human Rabies Immune Globulin.
Other recommended measures include:
- Immediately and thoroughly wash all bite wounds and scratches with soap and water.
- Tetanus prophylaxis should be considered.
- Risk of bacterial infections should be assessed and addressed.
- Animal Rabies Post-Exposure Prophylaxis summary of the recommendations below :