Lead Poisoning

What is Lead Poisoning?

Lead poisoning is the number one environmental illness of children.

Lead is a poisonous metal that our bodies can’t use. It was used in paint before it was banned in the United States in 1978. Deteriorating lead-based paint, lead dust from renovation or deterioration in buildings and contaminated soil remain the most likely sources of childhood lead exposure. Water from lead pipes, and imported spices, candy, and make-up can also be sources of exposure.

Lead poisoning is hard to see, but it is very harmful. There is no safe blood-lead level.

Lead can cause:

  • Lowered IQ and learning problems.
  • Trouble concentrating and paying attention
  • Speech disorders
  • Anemia (a disease caused by low iron levels), which can result in tiredness, shortness of breath, and difficulty paying attention.
  • When exposed children become adults, they have a higher risk of high blood pressure and heart disease.

Learn more