Vision & Hearing Services:
Vision and hearing screenings are conducted for children enrolled in private grammar schools and daycare centers in suburban Cook County (SCC) – with the exception of Evanston, Oak Park, Skokie, and Stickney Township – upon a school's request. Screening will only be provided to pre-school, kindergarten, 1st, 2nd and 8th grade students as mandated by the Illinois School Code.
- Schools/centers in the North and Southwest SCC regions will be screened in even school years
- Schools/centers in the West and South SCC regions will be screened in odd school years
- No school/center will be screened more than once in a school year
- Schools/centers that receive subsidies will be given priority
To arrange for vision/hearing screenings at your school/center, please follow these steps:
- Complete the Vision and Hearing Services Application Form and fax to 708-786-4001. Be sure to include: a copy of the tuition schedule, documentation of students at or below 200 percent of poverty, and any subsidies received through the Illinois Department of Human Services and/or Department of Children and Family Services.
- Download packet of all necessary forms in advance and make sure they are complete at the time of the screening. Forms include:
- Parent/Guardian Consent for Services (English and Spanish)
- Roster for Pre-School, Kindergarten and Elementary Screening
- Screening Form, Grades K-6
- Screening Form, Grades 7-8
- Vision Examination Report
- CCHHS Notice of Privacy Practices and Acknowledgment of Receipt of CCHHS
- Notice of Privacy Practices (English and Spanish)
Schools/centers are responsible for:
- Providing bilingual support, if needed
- Following-up on referrals for abnormal screening tests and sending information to CCDPH within 45 days of the screening
Once an application has been received with all required documentation, CCDPH will contact the designated school/center staff within 7 days to schedule the screening. It is our goal to provide schools/centers and their children with the highest level of professional services. Each screening procedure takes approximately 10 minutes per student.
If you are interested in becoming trained to provide vision and hearing screenings, please contact the Illinois Department of Public Health at 217-782-4733 for more information.