In the WIC program, suburban Cook County residents are offered services for nutrition classes, counseling, breast feeding support and food vouchers for financially eligible pregnant and/or breast-feeding women, infants and children up to five years of age.
WIC knows that good nutrition, starting with pregnancy, provides the best possible start for babies and children to grow up strong and healthy.
- Free health and nutrition screening
- Vouchers or coupons for nutritious supplemental foods, such as milk, juice, cereal, eggs, cheese, beans, peanut butter, and extra foods (carrots and tuna) for breastfeeding mothers (infant formula is available for infants not exclusively breastfeeding)
- Nutrition counseling and education; many session topics offered
- Breastfeeding counseling and breast pumps for those in need
- Referrals for medical care, immunizations/vaccinations, and other services
- Coupons for fresh fruits and vegetables from local farmer's markets during summer months