We've all heard it before – get up, move more, and move more often. And while it's true that being more active will help you stay healthier and feel better, it doesn't have to be painful to get that extra exercise. Here are a few things worth thinking about before you make the decision to start moving more:
How much physical activity are you getting now?
- Whether you're exercising regularly or not, chances are you're not sure if you're ‘active enough' each day. Figuring that out is the first step – what's recommended.
Something's better than nothing!
- The best exercise routine is one that fits your life. If you can spare 15 minutes a day to go for a walk, start there! Thirty minutes of exercise a day is ideal, but you can work up to it. You'll be amazed at how much better you feel once you start! Ideas to get started.
Think long term – and treat yourself!
- It's great to start exercising, but what really matters is if you can keep it up. Think long term when you're making an exercise plan. Make little goals for yourself along the way and, when you reach them, treat yourself!
Bring a Friend!
- One of the best ways to keep motivated is to exercise with a friend. Who do you know that might want to join you?
Turn off the tube!
- The easiest way to be more active is to switch the TV off. Spend that time on a family dinner, a walk, or a game and not only will you feel better, you'll be closer to the ones you love. Activity suggestions that will work for just about anyone.
Use what you've got!
- You don't need a fancy gym membership to get healthy. The best exercise equipment is the kind that's free, easy to use and nearby – take a walk in the park.
Click here to learn how Cook County Department of Public Health is helping make it easier to be active in suburban Cook County.